Monday, April 2, 2012

{Paper Organization on the Cheap}

I saw this WONDERFUL idea on Pinterest a few weeks ago and knew that it had to somehow work for me!
It was just listed on a forum at the link above, so that's the best credit I can give.
Isn't this an uber-terrific idea??!

My first thought was scrap and art paper storage for my kiddo in our office area, but it just doesn't fit into my built-ins very well. However, my preschool classroom is low on counter space, and I find myself stacking materials and getting cluttered.
I made my own, and turned it into a "Monday-Wednesday-Friday" file cabinet for my classroom.
Now I can sort prepped materials, and the best part is......FREE!!! :)
I used spray paint and scrapbook paper that I had on hand.
I started by cutting one end off of each box, then using duck tape to secure them together. I figured that paint would stick better to duck tape than packing tape. Next I sprayed them with white primer.

I then actually sprayed it with red, but it just didn't cover as well as I would have liked. I decided to go with a basic black instead, since I knew I would be embellishing it a little with scrapbook papers.
I did 2 coats of black, and if you really look, you can still see some of the original markings on the box, but it's minor. I cut scrapbook paper and printed the days on cardstock, and adhered it to one side with sticky strip. I die cut the stars as an extra.
This will really help to keep my prepped materials organized and looking better, and I didn't have to spend any moolah.
What else can you come up using these freebie boxes?

Have a good one,
 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I could have never thought of that on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome idea!!! thanks for blogging about it as I never would have seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! For the record, it is illegal to take USPS boxes for anything other than priority mailing (even non-priority mail!). They are not freebies. But if you get some in the mail, definitely keep them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg really. No one is perfect and also she's a teacher. They spend most of there money on the kids cuz the school district is too cheap to buy stuff the kids need so give her some slack

      Delete
  4. Great Idea! and I love the fact that you 'primed' the boxes before painting!! I clearly don't do much of this but had to giggle (with RESPECT ;-) ) at that! SMART SMART SMART!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did this with cereal boxes a few years ago, but they are not very sturdy...very saggy shelves...so I could only use it facing upright (which is OK for kids' coloring books and construction paper, but smaller things like sticker sheets get lost down inside. Great idea to use the mailing boxes! They are so much stronger...and they're free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AGAIN..don't abuse the USPS. They are NOT free and cost the USPS money..use for shipping purposes only!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What did you use the modge podge for? I see it in your first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a while since you posted this. I'm curious how the paint held up? I was just pondering painting some boxes that I'll be using for paper storage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am using small flat rate boxes to make a cell phone "condo". I put a divider in the middle so each holds 2 phones. I will take a picture when I finish.

    ReplyDelete

You can't imagine how much I looooooove comments! It makes my day, no matter how short and sweet. Thanks for stopping by!