Sunday, February 27, 2011

{Old Drawer Turned Ribbon Holder}

I saw this FABULOUS idea for ribbon storage recently over at Blue Cricket Design. I think it's genius, just like most everything over there! I don't use my ribbon all the time, but I have found that when I can see it, I definitely use it more often. I've looked at ribbon organizers so many times, but never found anything that I liked enough to buy. We found this homeless drawer in our garage a couple of months back, but it never occurred to me that it could be useful until I saw this post. This one doesn't stand on it's own and is pretty shallow...it's definitely not from a dresser...but it works well for this and I wanted to hang it anyway (vs. standing it on a table).

So here's my version:
My sweet hubby added the dowels for me, as well as a little bottom shelf from scrap wood. I can always add one more dowel in the future if I need it.
Here's how the drawer looked when I found it:
I removed the side rails first, and didn't even prime or sand this. It's really heavy wood, and honestly just as a ribbon holder and knowing I was going to distress the edges anyway, I really didn't see the need.
We basically just used the ribbon spools to adjust the dowel placement, hubby added the shelf at the bottom, then I painted 2 coats on before distressing the edges. It works perfectly in my craft space, and holds all of my ribbon. Love it!


The drawer idea has really inspired me to try something totally different with another drawer, and I can't wait! I really need a dresser drawer for that project though, so I'm heading to the junk shop next week to see what I can find!
Take care,
I'm linking up to these great parties!





Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so amazing! Thanks for linking me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love for you to share this at my Make Something Monday Link Party!

    http://sarahndipities.blogspot.com/2011/03/make-something-monday-link-party-1.html

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up to Make Something Mondays!! Hope you'll join me again next week!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you be interested in exchanging links?

    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article, thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well


    Pesisir
    Pesisir Pantai
    Pesisir Pulau

    ReplyDelete

You can't imagine how much I looooooove comments! It makes my day, no matter how short and sweet. Thanks for stopping by!