Monday, February 7, 2011

{American Girl Backpack}

My 6 1/2 yr old is really getting into her American Girl doll these days, and I have to admit that I love creating homemade things for her! My kiddo of course wants EVERYTHING in the AG catalog, but if you haven't seen the prices, let me tell you...it's not pretty. We are so fortunate that one of her grandpas is really good at woodworking, and as a result, she's been hooked up with a cool doll table and chairs, a balance beam, a 4-poster bed, and most recently, a school desk. (Isn't it cool?!)

So she's been playing school for 3 days straight with the doll and the need for a doll backpack came to my attention...as well as a couple of other things but we'll get to those later. :) After writing up little worksheets for her on scrap cardstock, I got to work on a backpack.  After one failed attempt due to measuring waaaaaaay too small, this is what I came up with. I'm SOOO pleased with it!!


Isn't it darling??!  You need very little fabric for this. I modeled the pattern after the Valentine Mail Pouches 
(tutorial here ), just altered the measurements and actually attached the straps to the bag instead of using snaps or buttons. Just last week I had to cut off a pair of my old jeans that had finally torn beyond repair, so I used denim scraps for the body of the bag, and hot pink leopard scraps for the lining and straps. The flower on the front is another post! :)
I would think these measurements should fit any 18" doll. 
Here's what I did:
For the bag: 7"  x 6.5" - (2) outer, (2) lining, (2) fusible fleece
For the flap: 4" x 6.5" - (1) outer, (1) lining - round the corners freehand
For the straps: 9" x 2.5"  (2) 
I boxed the corners at 3/4".

Some lessons I learned...make sure to attach the straps BEFORE sewing the outer pieces together - AND - mine just has a flap closure which is great, but you could also add a snap if you wanted.
It's so stinkin' cute and the best part is that it cost me nothing and my kiddo loves it! It even fits on the back of her little school desk. :)

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I thoroughly enjoyed making this! :)
Take care,
I'm linking up to these parties:
Stinkin Cute Thursday Button
PhotobucketPhotobucket







Photobucket
http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">Sumo Sweet Stuffhttp://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g241/summerandrus/Blog%20Graphics/marketyourselfcopy.png"/>

  The DIY Show Off

7 comments:

  1. very nice. I have a Monday link up over at www.creative2xmom.blogspot.com. You should stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! I have a few nieces that would love some of these backpacks :) Now if I can just dust off my sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hop on over to the Party! Would love for you to link-up @

    http://thetreasurista.blogspot.com/p/treasuristas-thursday-treasures-come.html

    The Treasurista
    Finding and Creating FUN things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is very lucky to have a mom that can sew and a grandfather that is good with woodworking. That stuff is really expensive. This is adorable... Thanks so much for linking to It's Stinkin' Cute Craft Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by and sharing! Very cute, I might have to add AG backpacks to my to-do list. I've never let my girls see the AG catalog because of the prices! I'm a new follower, I'd love for you to come back and follow me, domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

    Smartpink.or.id
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete

You can't imagine how much I looooooove comments! It makes my day, no matter how short and sweet. Thanks for stopping by!